This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Yellow hoodie

[[ UPDATE (27/2/2014): We have released this design as a PDF pattern! What started as the yellow hoodie has now become an actual pattern with a lot more design details than the original. More flattering, better thought through, a sweater and a dress version, and a collar option next to the big hood! 

Go check it out here. ]]

I know, it's been over two weeks since my last post. I've been working hard on this project, but I got the flu when I was almost finished. I tried to keep sewing, but try sneezing with pins in your mouth...

The reason I made this is because I only have one sweater, so a second one is more than welcome. It's my second big project since I started, and I also designed this one myself!


Its made out of jogging fabric which is soft on the inside so it's super comfy and warm. I've written before that yellow is not my color, but I just couldn't resist when I saw this mustard yellow. Besides, the other colors of this fabric were weird, so I had not much choice anyway.

I made the hood a-symmetrical, with big shiny buttons. They don't do much though, they're just for the looks. The seam of the hood runs horizontally which makes it bigger than normal vertical hoods. I got this idea from my niece's coat. She was so kind to take measures and make a drawing for me. It took me a few days to get it right though, but I'll show you more about the process later on. I finished the visible inside seams with some black bias tape.



Above you can see the way the hood drapes beautifully over my shoulders and back. This is also due to the horizontal seams. I absolutely LOVE this hoodie, and I think I'll use it as a foundation to build my personal style on. I have already some other ideas for another one. A third sweater would still not be overdoing it, don't you think?

Update: Check this post for more details and this post for some measurements on the hood.

27 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this hoodie!!
    I think it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I may have to try something similar - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Stay tuned for 'the making of' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Looking forward to your how-to!
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. found your blog through this burdastyle project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Lekker stoere kleur en ziet er inderdaad supercomfy uit. Goed gelukt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dank! Ik merk nu dat zelf ontwerpen wel echt veel leuker is dan bestaande patronen gebruiken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!! I loveeee this hoodie too!!! Wish I had the skills to make it myself too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accepteer je al opdrachten?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alleen kleine projecten. Maar dat komt vast nog wel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing ! I want to make one ! :3

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful! If you're worried about the way the colour lights your skin then line the inside of the hood with grey, greys mute the brightness of yellows and support flesh tones better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, some professional colour advice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, don't think so :) I'm still fixing my first tutorial! But maybe in the future, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lisa ! Oooh my!! I love this hoodie ! I just started investing in few materials and i m falling in love with sewing ! My big project new is to make a hoodie and this one looks sooo awesome ! Would it be possible to get some more information (the pattern.. ) so I could make my own hoodie ? Your project would go to Belgium :) kind regards, and really cool that you hold a blog on your fabric-sewing-projects!!! lien.bieseman@cms-db.com , hug, Lien.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! And I think you look great in this color! I wish I could be this creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Geweldig !!
    Heb je van de trui zelf geen patroontje?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nee helaas, heb hem overgetrokken van een andere trui. Maar volgende winter maak ik er een echt patroon van en dat komt dan beschikbaar.

      Delete
    2. Spijtig ! Maar waarom wachten tot volgende winter ;) Op koude lente-avonden komt zo'n exemplaartje toch ook van pas? :)

      Delete
    3. Omdat het heel veel werk is om een goed patroon te maken, en ik ben nu met een andere bezig :)

      Delete
    4. Natuurlijk ;) Succes ermee!
      Ik kijk uit naar je patronen!

      Delete
    5. Ik zou ook willen dat het sneller ging! Helaas :)

      Delete
  18. That is a so cute yellow hoodie. It's amazing how you did that. I love the style.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!