When Stef decided he didn't like his Threadless shirts anymore, I knew immediately what to do with them. I pinned this shirt a while ago and have been waiting for an opportunity to make my own ever since.
I used the grey shirt as a basis. I sketched a few alteratives and then transferred these lines to the grey shirt. I cut out those pieces, and used them as pattern pieces on the other shirts. I ended up not using the green shirt, but the sleeve of the yellow shirt I cut up last year. (Yes I saved a cut off T-shirt sleeve. No wonder my stash pile is so high.)
Ofcourse I cut out the patterns pieces the wrong way around. The pieces matched each other, but not the grey shirt. I had to cut a new blue piece to fix it. I was lucky to have enough fabric! The pattern is now different from what I sketched, but I actually like it better this way. The shirt is actually not as tight as it looks. The wind was blowing hard, hence the empty beach on a sunny day and lots of kitesurfers in the background.
Besides making new side seams I also ripped out the sleeves, shortened them and reinserted them. And I folded over the ribbed neckband to make it a bit wider. Apart from the neckline, I made the whole shirt on my serger. I seriously love that machine! But my favourite part of the shirt is the triangular yellow piece. It is the only one that extends into the back of the shirt. I'm really happy with how it turned out, I think it fits in with the style of my current wardrobe and I finally got to try out this idea!