This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Project Pattern Magic

You'd think I'd already have enough to do what with starting a pattern company and all, but I would really like to try and do this other project, too. It will help me get better at pattern drawing, so it will be beneficial anyway. Besides, the pattern business doesn't have to be up and running asap. (First pattern is coming together though! Yay!)



I've got all three Pattern Magic books, and I'd really like to use them. Which is why I started Project Pattern Magic: one magic pattern every month. I'll choose 4 projects from each book and post about them on the last wednesday of every month. Some of the patterns will be wearable, but the last one from each book will be the most complicated, challenging, intruiging or whacky pattern in the book. I.e., not necessarily wearable :) Below is the first one, drawn on half scale just for fun. Can you guess what it'll be?



Ofcourse it would be really awesome if anyone would join me for this project. So if you didn't already have a 2013 project, this is your chance :) I understand if it is too big or too short of notice or too expensive to get all the books, I just thought that I'd mention that doing this together would be even more fun! You could always join me for one of the months, or use patterns from one book only if you like. If so, let me know!

The projects so far:

PPM #1: Draped Design
PPM #2: Bamboo Shoot
PPM #3: Kakurenbo Pinafore
PPM #4: Knot Dress (Musubu)
PPM #5: Asymmetrical Facing

15 comments:

  1. Great idea Lisa. Of course I'm joining, perhaps on a quarterly rather than monthly basis!! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you're going to make and hopefully I'll be learning a thing or two too!

    P.S. Thanks for enabling the name/url profile; much easier to keep in touch now!

    Marianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm curious to see what you'll be making. Will you go for whacky or wearable?

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa
      Good question!

      I'm in the suburbs and therefore consider it my duty to make the whacky wearable (there are a few of us....). Shame it's so cold as we're all buried under layers... but this is the challenge I need to kickstart my sluggish creativity.

      Lovely button, by the way.

      Delete
  2. Ooo I quite like the sound of this, I own the first two books, (not the stretch though), but I haven't made anything from them, Perhaps I may take part in February as I think January would be a bit too soon for me to finish anything in time. Good idea though. can't wait to see what you make :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Contact me if you have questions, or have pics to share. I'll let you know what I'll be making next month when I finish this months'.

      Delete
  3. Great idea, maybe i'm joining, I just have to buy the books. And take the time to do it. I have tryed some of it, for som time ago, when it was only on japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! With each post, I'll be announcing the next pattern I make and the due date, so that way you can decide if you'll join.

      Delete
  4. I have one of those books and I've never made anything with it. Possibly because I have the version that's in Japanese. I really need to learn to wait for the English translation. I'll definitely be following you to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! Marianna from Sew2pro told me about your project. I challenged myself to do a few pieces from PM Stretch using my own knit fabrics, but so far I've only done Crushed Can -- as a hat/cowl! I'll definitely participate when I can. This is just what I need to forge ahead!

    Olgalyn
    CraftingFashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea! I don`t think I can keep up with one a month, but I`m really looking forward to see what you will make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a happy owner of Pattern Magic book (Xmas present :) I MUST make at least something from the book... Will be definitely following your project and, hopefully, will try to make at least one thing myself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    I think I know what it is, as I did it myself. I own the Japanese version of the first book, so I can't tell its name. It's the top with two pieces crossed (draped?, can't say it in English either ;-)) in the front. You can check on my blog, I gave some sewing instruction, but in French, sorry... (check Magic Pattern tag)
    I'd like to join in, not sure I'll be able to join every month, but I'll try to, as drawing my own patterns is my favorite sewing activity at the moment. So I'll carefully check your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no - I've only just found this project so I've missed Jan and Feb. I'm such a slowcoach I don't think I'll manage one a month but I'll try to add a few over the year.
    Looking forward to seeing all 12 of your wonderful creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Let me know when you do, love to see what you make!

      Delete
  10. I'm late but count me in! I have all three Pattern Magic books - and Drape Drape too - and have only used them for one pattern. Poor effort. This should give me the poke I need!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!