This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Summer green

It was time for the first summer skirt. As I wrote in the last post, I combined a thin green dotted cotton with green poplin. The poplin takes down the supercuteness of the dots just enough not to make me feel like a little girl with ribbons in her hair. I wanted it to be a bit swirly (it that the right word?) but I also have broad hips, so I made pleats to reduce the bulk around that part.

I apologize for the crappy quality of these pics, the light was horrible (though it shows my upper arm muscle quite nicely ;)) and I didnt want to shoot them in front of the wallpaper again. If you want to see what the fabric really looks like, check my previous post.

I am very happy with my finishing on this skirt: a (mostly) invisible zipper and a covered button. And I discovered the purpose of a weird sewing foot that came with my machine: it helps you make a very neat line along an edge (see top of waistband). I keep getting better at neat finishing, and am also enjoying it more. I see now that invisible techniques such as interfacing (the waistband) and proper lining make a big difference in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!